Outlook for Saturday #Launch

Greg Smith

We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, June 12, at Dodds Park in Champaign.

Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably in the north half of the soccer field parking lots. Our waiver allows flying up to 4,000' MSL (3,252' from ground level). The waiver expires at sunset at 8:23 PM.

We may need to wait for Park District soccer players to finish their matches and leave the field before we can set up.

Summer has arrived, and the forecast is hot and muggy:


Saturday - Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 93. Calm wind becoming northwest 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40%. (NWS)

Partial cloudiness early, with scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 93F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%. (TWC)


Sigh, it's another "too close to call" day. The heat will be a challenge (bring water and sunscreen), the wind sounds tolerable, but it's hard to predict those summertime pop-up thunderstorms. It will depend on what I can divine from the forecasts and radar tomorrow morning. Let's call our chances 50/50. I'll post the final decision about the launch here shortly after 10:00 AM tomorrow. You can also call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update.

Our next scheduled launch will be GARLO 2020 on Saturday, June 26 at Dodds Park.

We will be enforcing our physical distancing and masking requirements at tomorrow's launch.


Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
greg@... 217-840-1678

Join cia-rocketry@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.