Outlook for Saturday #Launch

Greg Smith

We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, March 27, at our farm field site near Forsyth, IL. (For directions to the field, see http://www.ciarocketry.org/maps.html#forsyth)

Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, along Schellabarger Road, probably near the middle of the field. Our waiver allows flying up to 10,000' MSL (9,325' from ground level). The waiver expires at sunset at 7:15 PM.

The forecast is marginal:


Saturday - A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 4pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 72. Southeast wind 9 to 16 mph becoming south southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 24 mph. (NWS)

Partly cloudy with afternoon showers or thunderstorms. High 71F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%. (TWC)


The two forecasts differ, but both predict fairly high winds and a chance of rain. I think the odds are against us, but it's possible that the weather might be acceptable for a while early in the afternoon. I'll check the conditions and post the final decision about the launch here shortly after 10:00 AM tomorrow. You can also call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update.

We have reserved Sunday (3/28) as a rain date in case we can't fly tomorrow. At the moment, it sounds like it's going to be even windier than on Saturday, though. I'll post another update tomorrow evening if we need to consider that option.

Our next scheduled launch will be Saturday, April 10 at the Rantoul Aviation Center.

We will be enforcing our physical distancing and masking requirements at tomorrow's launch.


Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
greg@... 217-840-1678

Join cia-rocketry@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.