Re: "Chute Spool"

Gary Slater

And I forgot, not to mention potential use of necessary space inside of what may be an already limited space air frame.

On 09/30/2020 11:02 AM Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...> wrote:

I read the article when it came out yesterday and thought it was a clever idea. As you say it would be difficult to set a specific time or altitude for chute deployment, but it would have the effect of delaying deployment to reduce drift. It might be interesting to try it out and see how it works.

Jonathan

On 9/30/2020 9:20 AM, Gary Slater wrote:
Anyone else see this?  A non-electronic, non-pyro delayed chute release idea.
Any thoughts about it?

As I understand it, one basically has to use trial and error adjustments in case your chute releases too early or too late.  And particularly for smaller rockets, it means added weight which means higher thrust motors and delay timing issues??

https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter531.pdf