Re: Level 1 certification

Gary Slater

Chris or anyone else, what epoxy does stick to Quantum?

On Sep 29, 2020, at 1:41 PM, Christopher Deem <chris-deem@...> wrote:

What Lon said, Quantum tubing is plastic pipe and most glues will not stick to it. Also, it expands and contracts more than other materials with temperature changes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
From: Lon Westfall <l.westfall@...>
Date: 9/29/20 10:58 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] Level 1 certification

Hi Mike,

I started rocketry with PML kits.  My level one cert was with an Ariel.  I would recommend staying away from Quantum Tubing which is what is used on the Miranda, Endeavour, and the Ariel.  For most people building a first high power kit it is probably best to stick with cardboard or blue tube and no pistons.  Pistons and Quantum Tubing do not mix well although I have had good luck with fiberglass and pistons.  I'm personally fond of fiberglass or carbon fiber rockets but they require more experience with construction than cardboard or blue tube and are much more expensive.  Popular cardboard kits are available from locprecision.com and binderdesign.com.  If you are in the market for fiberglass kits a source for well designed and complete kits is hawkmountian.ws.  Most manufactures of fiberglass kits do not include things like a parachute.

Don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Lon Westfall