Re: Your launch site...

Shaun L. Bill

Yes, please send.

From: Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...>
Date: 5/20/20 11:51 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] Your launch site...

We do have a written agreement with the Champaign Park District. Let me know if you would like a copy. You may not want to follow it directly, but it might give you some ideas.

Basically our agreement sets out the responsibilities of the Park District and the club as an affiliate. The Park District agrees to allow us to reserve and make use of the park for flying rockets. They also will publicize our activities and contact info in their brochures. It also specifies how much we will be charged for having the restrooms open a the park during GARLO. This amount is less than what they would normally charge a group holding an event at the park. I'm not sure if they are specifically giving us a break on the cost (they have a park district employee there all day) or if this is just a remnant from an earlier version of the agreement that hasn't gotten updated.

On our part we are required to have insurance for the site, which we get from the NAR. We are required to hold a workshop each year and do some sort of program for their summer camps. These are things we would be willing to do anyway, so that works out OK. We are to coordinate our use of the park with the person who oversees it and obey the rules and not damage anything.

There is a fair amount of legalese as you might expect, the current agreement is 5 pages long, but I think that gives you some idea of what the agreement consists of.

Jonathan

On 5/20/2020 8:19 AM, Shaun L. Bill wrote:
Good morning, everyone.
I am president of the Morton Park District Board of commissioners this year. (It is not a huge deal, it was just my turn.) Coincidentally, one of the first question I got was about launching model rockets.

Do you guys have an agreement, verbal or in writing, with Parkland or the local park district or anything like that? I would love to be able to formalize a policy and be a community that welcomes our little hobby.
Maybe even invite you all to do a build-n-fly.

SLB