Re: Saturday #launch CANCELED #Launch

Jonathan Sivier

Unfortunately that isn't true. We have been lucky so far here in Central Illinois, but it is just a matter of time until we have to deal with it.

While some people are over-reacting, the concern isn't hype. We may get lucky and things will turn out better than predicted, but better to be prepared using the best information available rather than do nothing and just hope that we get lucky.

The purpose of the measures being put in place are not so much to keep people from getting the virus, that is going to happen. Rather, the point is to slow the spread so that the available medical facilities aren't overwhelmed. If everyone got sick at the same time, or within a very short period, there would not be enough hospital rooms and medical personnel to take care of all of those who need care. I appears that most cases will be mild, as with the flu, but a higher percentage will need medical care than is usual with the flu. Also, because this is a novel virus, no one has any immunity and a higher percentage of the population will get it, a higher percentage will need care and a higher percentage will die.

See the article from the University of Michigan on why we need to slow the spread of the virus.

For more information see the following sites from the CDC and Johns Hopkins.


On 3/13/2020 9:02 AM, William Carney via Groups.Io wrote:
Well with rain and snow predicted we probably would not fly any way.  But this COVID-19 is mostly hype right now.  More people have died from the flu than it since COVID-19 was first reported.

In a message dated 3/13/2020 4:25:23 AM Central Standard Time, gregs@... writes:

In response to the many concerns and cancellations related to the COVID-19 novel coronavirus pandemic, our leadership has been debating about what CIA events we should continue to hold over the next few weeks and months. Like everyone else, we're concerned for the health of our participants and at the same time uncertain about the properties and future spread of the disease and its risk to our members.

Out of an abundance of caution, we've decided to cancel this weekend's launch that was scheduled for Saturday, March 14 at the Forsyth farm field site. It was easier to make this decision since the weather forecast for Saturday is also pretty grim, with rain and even possibly some snow expected for much of the day.

At the moment, it is uncertain whether we'll try to hold next Tuesday's business meeting at Papa Del's. We'll let you know soon what we decide.

We are still planning for a launch on March 28 at the Forsyth site. We'll continue to watch for public health advisories (and, as always, the weather forecasts) over the next couple of weeks and will notify everyone here when we've made a decision.

Use your time to finish up those last winter building projects, and we'll get back in the air as soon as possible. In the meantime, stay safe and healthy.


Greg Smith  N9LHI

Join to automatically receive all group messages.