We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, December 14, at Dodds Park in Champaign.
Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably in the north half of the soccer field parking lots. Flying can continue until sunset at 4:27 PM. Our waiver allows flying motors through "H" class up to 4,000' MSL (about 3,250' from ground level).
Here's the NWS forecast:
Saturday - A slight chance of snow before 9am, then a slight chance of snow and freezing rain between 9am and 10am, then a slight chance of rain after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 39. West northwest wind 6 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
So, there may be rain, there might be snow, the wind will be marginal, and the overcast may be pretty low. It will definitely be cold and cloudy. I'd say the chances are against our being able to fly, but it's not certain yet. I'll look at the actual conditions and short term forecasts and post the final decision about the launch here shortly after 11:00 AM tomorrow. You can call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update.
Our next launch will be Saturday, December 28, also at Dodds Park.
Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace