Outlook for Saturday/Sunday #Launch

Greg Smith

We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, November 30, at the farm field near Forsyth, IL. For directions to the launch site, see http://www.ciarocketry.org/maps.html#forsyth

Setup will begin (earlier than usual) at 10:00 AM. Flying will end by sunset at 4:28 PM. Our waiver allows flying up to 10,000' MSL (about 9,250' from ground level).

If we can't fly Saturday, we will try again on Sunday, December 1, same times and location.

The NWS forecast for Decatur (both days) is:


Saturday - Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Patchy fog before 1pm. High near 52. Southeast wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Sunday - Rain, mainly after 7am. High near 40. West wind around 16 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.


This is a pretty dreadful outlook for the whole weekend, and I think there is almost no chance we will be able to launch on either day. With a tiny spark of optimism, I will, as always, delay making the official decision until tomorrow morning. I'll post the bad news here around 9:00 AM tomorrow. You can call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update - but don't get your hopes up.

Our next regular club launch will be Saturday, December 14, at Dodds Park in Champaign.


Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
greg@n9lhi.net 217-840-1678

Join cia-rocketry@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.