Outlook for Saturday #Launch

Greg Smith

We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, November 23, at the farm field near Forsyth, IL. For directions to the launch site, see http://www.ciarocketry.org/maps.html#forsyth

Setup will begin (earlier than usual) at 10:00 AM. Flying will end by sunset at 4:30 PM. Our waiver allows flying up to 10,000' MSL (about 9,250' from ground level).

The NWS forecast for Decatur is:


Saturday - A chance of snow before 9am, then a chance of rain and snow between 9am and 10am, then a chance of rain after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Light and variable wind becoming north northwest 5 to 7 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 30%.


Whether we can launch tomorrow will depend on whether the rain and snow actually materialize, and the cloud ceiling, which is currently forecast to be about 6,000 feet (too low for our waiver). I'll post the final decision about the launch here around 9:00 AM tomorrow. You can call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update.

If we don't fly Saturday, we will try again on Sunday, November 24, same times and location. At the moment, the forecast for Sunday looks significantly better, with warmer temperatures and sunny skies.

Our next regular club launch will be the following Saturday, 11/30, also at the Forsyth field.


Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
greg@n9lhi.net 217-840-1678

Join cia-rocketry@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.