We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, September 21, at Dodds Park in Champaign.
Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably in the south half of the soccer field parking lots. Flying can continue until sunset at 6:52 PM. Our waiver allows flying motors through "H" class up to 4,000' MSL (about 3,250' from ground level).
The forecasts have gone back and forth the past few days about the possibility of rain, but have consistently predicted strong winds. Here's the latest from the NWS:
Saturday - A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 82. South southwest wind 10 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.
I kind of expect it will be too windy (and maybe too wet) to fly. I'll try to stay optimistic until I post the final decision about the launch here shortly after 11:00 AM tomorrow. You can call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update.
If we don't fly tomorrow, we'll try again next Saturday (9/28) at the Rantoul Aviation Center. The next launch after that will be October 12, also at Rantoul.
Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace