We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, August 24, at Dodds Park in Champaign.

Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably in the north half of the soccer field parking lots. We can fly until sundown at 7:35 PM. Our waiver allows flying motors through "H" class up to 4,000' MSL (about 3,250' from ground level).

This is our annual Nostalgia Launch. Members are encouraged to bring and fly rockets over 20 years old. We'd love to see some of those antiques in the air again!

Unfortunately, the weather forecast isn't entirely great:

-----

Saturday - Sunny, with a high near 76. East wind 6 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

-----

The temperature sounds like a welcome break from the heat, but easterly winds make setting up and flying a pain at Dodds Park. If the gusts are close to 20 mph as forecast, we'll probably choose to scrub the launch. I'll try to stay optimistic and will post the final decision about the launch here shortly after 11:00 AM, or you can call me after that time at 217-840-1678.

August has five Saturdays, so our next club launch will be on September 14 at Dodds Park. It will include our annual night launch activity where we stay out after dark and fly rockets with lights, beepers and the like to assist in tracking and recovery.

GregS@illinois.edu 217-840-1678