Outlook for GARLO 2019 #Launch

Greg Smith

The Great Annual Rocket Launch of 2019, GARLO 2019, is tomorrow, Saturday, July 20, at Dodds Park in Champaign. This date is the 50th anniversary of the landing of Apollo 11 on the moon in 1969. The theme this year is "We Came in Peace," reflected in both the event T-shirts (see Jonathan if you need one!) and our special Apollo/Saturn model theme contest. The event runs from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, with a potluck dinner afterward at Steve Dramstad's house.

Setup will begin at 9:00 AM, probably in the north half of the Dodds Park soccer field parking lots. We will close the range promptly at 4:00 PM. Our waiver allows flying motors through "H" class up to 4,000' MSL (about 3,250' from ground level).

The weather will be hot:

-----

Saturday - Sunny, with a high near 94. Heat index values as high as 107. Southwest wind around 9 mph, with gusts as high as 16 mph.

-----

Although it will be a little windier than we'd like at times, it seems almost certain we'll be able to hold the launch. I'll make a final status announcement to this list about 8:00 AM tomorrow. You can call me at 217-840-1678 for status updates after that time.

We've arranged for the Dodds Park restrooms and, hopefully, the concession stand to be open during the launch. But also be sure to bring plenty of water, limit your activity in the sun, slather on that sunscreen, and stay in the shade as much as possible on this very hot summer day.

Our next regular club launch will be on Saturday, August 10 at Dodds Park.

GregS@illinois.edu 217-840-1678