Outlook for Friday #Launch

Greg Smith

On Friday, June 28, we'll be assisting the students in the Illinois Aerospace Institute high school summer camp as they fly the egglofters and boost gliders they built as part of their week-long workshop at the University of Illinois. We will be at our usual flying site at Dodds Park in Champaign.

Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably in the south half of the soccer field parking lots. Flying will run from approximately 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM. There will be no waiver in effect for this launch. Although the priority will be on flying the student's rockets, there is usually time to sneak in a few demo flights by IAI staff and CIA members toward the end of the day.

The forecast looks pretty good (is it possible summer is actually here?) with the exception of afternoon wind gusts:

-----

Friday - Mostly sunny, with a high near 90. Light south wind becoming south southwest 6 to 11 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 17 mph.

-----

This is kind of disappointing since the forecasts from earlier in the week predicted much lighter winds. Still, I don't expect any major weather problems that would prevent us from flying, but will post here in the morning if there is any change in plans. You can call me after 11:00 AM at 217-840-1678 for information.

Our next regular club launch will be Saturday, July 6 at Dodds Park.

GregS@illinois.edu 217-840-1678