We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, May 11, at Dodds Park in Champaign.
Due to soccer activities at the park this weekend, we will delay the start time by about an hour from our normal schedule. Setup will begin at 1:00 PM, and we expect the soccer matches to be over by 2:00 PM so we can begin flying around that time. We can fly until sundown at 7:57 PM. There will be no waiver in effect for this launch (although the customary 4,000' waiver has been secured for launches at this site, starting in June).
The forecast is:
Saturday - Showers, mainly after 10am. High near 58. East northeast wind 7 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
It's hard to be optimistic with an 80% chance of rain around launch time. And the wind doesn't sound great either. :-) As usual, we'll make the final decision after looking at the conditions about 11:00 AM tomorrow. (The announcement may be delayed a little because several of us will be helping with the Park District building session at the Leonhard Center. I'll try to send the email to this list as soon as possible.) You can call me after 11:00 AM tomorrow at 217-840-1678 for the verdict.
Our next scheduled launch will be on Saturday, May 25 at Dodds Park.
Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace