As many of you know, we have a rocket launch scheduled Saturday (4/27/2019) at the big farm field near Forsyth, Illinois.
However, the weather forecast is poor. There will be at least intermittent rain all day, with overcast skies and high winds.
Therefore, we have decided to postpone the launch until Sunday, April 28. We'll still meet at 12:00 noon to set up, which means actual flying will probably begin about 1:00 PM.
The weather Sunday may not be great either. The forecast predicts strong winds that may gust up to 26 mph.
We'll watch the forecasts closely and post the usual "outlook" email Saturday evening. I'll make the final call Sunday morning, perhaps a little earlier than usual, since I'll need to send the message before leaving the house to drive to the site.
Stay tuned for messages with the "#launch" hashtag or call me at 217-840-1678 for information as we get closer to launch time.
In related news, we have finally received our FAA waivers for high power flying at our Dodds Park, Rantoul and Forsyth sites. However, they are not valid until May 30, 2019 - we had been hoping for an earlier date. So rain or shine, we will be flying without a waiver this weekend. The good news is that we are covered for the summer and fall flying seasons this year, and into next spring. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the waiver provisions and flying limitations, which differ a little between the three sites.
Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace