Re: (Mercury) Atlas Rocket question

Wes Cravens

I had no idea until the answers in this thread.  Thanks for asking.  I'm radioing today in preparation for Winter Field Day in a couple of weeks.  But the good news is that Hobby Time is back in my life!!!  Yay!!!

Wes

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 12:09 PM Gustav Piepenburg via Groups.Io <crazytraincuda=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

image1.JPG

On Jan 12, 2019, at 12:55 PM, Gustav Piepenburg <crazytraincuda@...> wrote:

Very thin gauge Stainless Steel. So thin that like the Titan Missile- Loss of Propellant/Oxidizer tank pressures meant sure collapse of the Missile's structural integrity in the horizontal position.
(Ex Air Missile Man here).

On Jan 12, 2019, at 11:23 AM, Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Since we aren't flying today, I am doing other rocket related things today.

I really feel like I should know this already.  But I don't and I cannot find an answer.

If you know, say so.  I would like to see who knows the answer to my question.

But let's be honest, if you don't know, I would appreciate your honesty in stating so as well.  I hope not to be only one who doesn't know.

The question:

What was the skin on the Atlas rockets made of that made them so shiny?

Thank you, gary.