Re: (Mercury) Atlas Rocket question

Greg Smith

It’s stainless steel plate. Pretty much the same as some of the shiny tank trucks you see on the highway. It’s a VERY difficult finish to duplicate with any kind of paint or foil wrap. A little different color and texture than aluminum.

- GDS

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io [mailto:cia-rocketry@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Slater
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2019 10:23 AM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: [cia-rocketry] (Mercury) Atlas Rocket question

Since we aren't flying today, I am doing other rocket related things today.

I really feel like I should know this already.  But I don't and I cannot find an answer.

If you know, say so.  I would like to see who knows the answer to my question.

But let's be honest, if you don't know, I would appreciate your honesty in stating so as well.  I hope not to be only one who doesn't know.

The question:

What was the skin on the Atlas rockets made of that made them so shiny?

Thank you, gary.