Yolo Bypass Experience -NOT A SIGHTING- Birding Related

Adam Panto

Today @ around 4:45, I had an interesting encounter with a Yolo Bypass Volunteer. I was attempting to bird the currently flooded fields from the dirt road to the south of them. I was on foot, I did not take my truck past the NO VEHICLES signage. I & several other birders were told we were not allowed to WALK there or ANY OTHER area except the designated trails & the roads open to vehicles. This was news to me.

Adam Panto
Placerville, CA

Celia Valverde

Hi,

I had the same experience in the last few months. The person was quite aggressive and rude. I told him to identified himself, since he was driving an unmarked car and I have been walking the same trail for the last 10 years (Green Lake) with binoculars and a trash picker.
He stormed out and I continued my walk.  It was disturbing.
I also had parked in appropriate location.

Celia R Valverde
crvalverde@...

On Aug 28, 2022, at 10:35 PM, Adam Panto <norcalwood@...> wrote:

Today @ around 4:45, I had an interesting encounter with a Yolo Bypass Volunteer. I was attempting to bird the currently flooded fields from the dirt road to the south of them. I was on foot, I did not take my truck past the NO VEHICLES signage. I & several other birders were told we were not allowed to WALK there or ANY OTHER area except the designated trails & the roads open to vehicles. This was news to me.

Adam Panto
Placerville, CA

Ann Brice

I spoke with Joe Hobbs, the manager of the Wildlife Area, yesterday.  He said that people should be able to park in a permitted area (e.g. Parking Lot C) and walk to the fallowed rice field that's flooded for shorebirds.  He was going to speak to the Fish and Wildlife volunteers who patrol to be sure they knew this was right.

Regarding Green's Lake, it has been off limits this summer due to construction in the area, but nothing was posted regarding that.  The construction will be finished at the end of this month.

FYI, waterfowl hunting season begins on Oct. 22, and flooding up of the area will be underway by Oct. 1.  Joe expects a normal flood-up this winter.

Ann Brice
Yolo Audubon

Roslyn Mack Bell

Yolo Basin posted this on FB on Thursday for those who may have missed it.:

"We've been receiving questions about where people can walk in the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area. People are allowed to walk the roads adjacent to rice fields where "no vehicle signs" are posted, except when an area may be closed for maintenance and during hunting seasons. There will be areas that are closed to people for dove season so if there are no trespassing signs (red signs) then those areas are closed to people.