Wilson's phalaropes aplenty

Michael Perrone

This morning the northernmost pond at Woodland wastewater treatment plant had 500-600 Wilson's phalaropes, which is weeks earlier than the normal late summer peak begins, and a quite large number even for then.  I suspect that the drought east of the Sierras and in southern Oregon has kept them from breeding successfully, and so they are returning early.

  About fifteen adult willets were reported at North Regional Pond two days ago, and I suspect the same explanation applies to that large a number showing up out of season.  I saw only one willet today.

Michael Perrone
Davis