[ShastaBirders.io] Song sparrow subspecies

Bruce Deuel

Hi Barbara and all.  There are a number of subspecies of Song Sparrow that show this contrasting white throat against very dark striping.  According to Rising's The Sparrows of the United States and Canada, subspecies around the Bay Area look like this, but as they are resident it's not likely they'd be seen in this area.  Eastern Song Sparrows are similar.  Don Roberson's website here: http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/MTYbirdsSOSP.html might be helpful, but I didn't see anything there that was as dark as this bird.  Maybe Ken Able the museum guy has some thoughts.
Cheers,
Bruce Deuel
Red Bluff

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 10:17 PM Barbara Peck <bapeck8@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I don’t recall seeing a song sparrow in this area (Anderson, CA)  with such a striking white throat, dark malars, and dark streaking. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which subspecies this might be?

Sorry about the poor photos. It was very shady.

Barbara Peck

Anderson, CA