Large Numbers of Lewis's Woodpeckers - Lake Solano

John Ehrenfeld

Large number of Lewis's Woodpeckers at Lake Solano. 10-8-21

I counted 22. They were staging in a dead tree at the far East end on the Yolo County bank and flying out over the creek to feed on insects.

I observed and photographed for 20 minutes.

Good birding otherwise; Hermit Thrush, Yellow Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Northern Flicker, Belted Kingfisher, Vaux-Swifts, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Pacific Slope Flycatcher, Spotted Towhee, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Wood Ducks, Lincoln Sparrow, Osprey, Bald Eagle (fly-over) and the usual Egrets, Cormorants and Great-blue Herons.

John Ehrenfeld

Napa County

William Hemstrom

We had 40+ today during a survey at Bobcat Ranch (just a bit north of Lake Solano County Park) this morning as well. Seems like they are out in force at the moment.

Best,
Will Hemstrom
Davis, CA -- Yolo County

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 1:37 PM John Ehrenfeld via groups.io <production=ix.netcom.com@groups.io> wrote:

Large number of Lewis's Woodpeckers at Lake Solano. 10-8-21

I counted 22. They were staging in a dead tree at the far East end on the Yolo County bank and flying out over the creek to feed on insects.

I observed and photographed for 20 minutes.

Good birding otherwise; Hermit Thrush, Yellow Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Northern Flicker, Belted Kingfisher, Vaux-Swifts, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Pacific Slope Flycatcher, Spotted Towhee, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Wood Ducks, Lincoln Sparrow, Osprey, Bald Eagle (fly-over) and the usual Egrets, Cormorants and Great-blue Herons.

John Ehrenfeld

Napa County

Brewbird

I had close to 100 on Sand Creek Road in Colusa County this morning and I’m know I didn’t see them all. There were almost 75 in one flock. What an awesome spectacle.

Michele Swartout
Red Bluff

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir.

--
Michele Swartout
Red Bluff