Lake Solano and Park

rosita94598

Mount Diablo Audubon held a field trip to Putah Creek Wednesday Jan. 5.  We stayed on the Solano County side of the creek, starting toward the lower dam off Putah Creek Road and walking through both the day-use and campground sides of the park.

We had plenty of Buffleheads, no doubt about that.  Also quite a few Hooded Mergansers and Common Goldeneyes.  It took a long time, but we finally found a pair of Wood Ducks under some branches on the north side of the creek.

Phainopeplas were in the day-use area of the park, but our only Lewis's Woodpeckers were across the creek.  Sixty-five species were seen by the group.

Most of the group headed home following the completion of our checklist, but a few of us drove to the west bridge and Monticello Dam.  From the bridge toward the dam there were at least twenty female Common Goldeneyes without a male in sight.  I was thinking maybe a Ladies Day Out?  We saw no Dipper up or downstream.

On my return from the dam, I pulled off immediately past the RV park where there is a smallish red structure.  Lots of Goldeneyes in the water there, including three male and one female Barrow's Goldeneys.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek