ID help please. Possible LEWO

L Markoff

Hello CV Birders!

This morning while outside cleaning bird baths and watering, I noticed a largish bird sitting in the top of the tall Redwood tree across the street.  The bird struck me as something different than the usual birds for this yard at this time of year.  I went inside for my binocular and camera, and luckily the bird was still there when I returned.  (Note to self, it’s migration fool, keep nox and camera handy!)

We have smoke from the Mosquito fire this morning, so viewing was dark, very tough, even with my binocular.  I thought it might be a Flicker, even though it would be a little early for Flicker at this location.  In the three years that we’ve been here I have always had my FOS Flicker during the third or fourth week of September.

When I reviewed the photos and video I took of the bird the shape didn’t look quite right for a Flicker.  Its head seemed more rounded and its bill seemed shorter and thinner than a Flicker’s would be.

Could you please take a look at the photos and video and give me your opinion as to whether the bird is a Lewis’s Woodpecker, a Flicker, or something else altogether?

I copied and then cropped and lightened-up two of the photos, which may or may not be of any help.  Here’s a link to photos.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/u3ps9096hJ

Unfortunately, as I went about garden chores I looked down briefly, and when I looked up at it again the bird was gone, so I didn’t see it fly off, drat.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Lori Markoff

Citrus Heights

szafrica77

First thing I thought was Lewis’s Woodpecker from the silhouette. A friend just had one in Woodland which is unusual.

Sarah Mayhew
Davis

On Sep 9, 2022, at 10:52 AM, L Markoff via groups.io <canyoneagle@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Deuel

It is aLewis's Woodpecker.  You can see the darker head and pink breast on at least one of the pictures.  Nice find.
Cheers,
Bruce Deuel
Red Bluff