From: "Mark Littlefield via groups.io" <aeriesailor=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Apr 24, 2021 11:12 AM
To: centralvalleybirds@groups.io
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] Brown-headed Cowbird

Yes, I know not the most glamorous bird, but this is the first time in 20 years I have had a Brown-headed Cowbird in my yard. Bird is a female and has been feeding on my front yard lawn in the morning for the past couple of days.

Vicinity of Gibbons Park in Sacramento County. 38.38’25” N 121.21’16”W

Mark Littlefield
Sacramento County

Stanton Hunter

How strange. I had my first (that I know of) pair of Cowbirds in my yard this morning, eating at a feeder, then lurking in an oak tree (looking for a nest to parasitize?).

Stan Hunter
Fair Oaks

On Apr 24, 2021, at 11:18 AM, Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> wrote:

I've also noticed a pair in my yard (Orangevale, Sacramento County), visiting the water feature. They're not the first observed in my yard, but the first time they've been other than here-and-gone.

Doug Herr
Orangevale, Sacramento County
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Yes, I know not the most glamorous bird, but this is the first time in 20 years I have had a Brown-headed Cowbird in my yard. Bird is a female and has been feeding on my front yard lawn in the morning for the past couple of days.

Vicinity of Gibbons Park in Sacramento County. 38.38’25” N 121.21’16”W

Mark Littlefield
Sacramento County

maryolo1

Recently have had a pair of Brown-headed Cowbirds at Yolo Bypass WA Headquarters, first time in years.  Much prefer the pair of Green Herons, and a pair of Swainson's Hawks which for days have cavorted and called high in the sky and right down over the HQ ponds.

BTW, about a week ago on the actual Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area a dark morph Swainson's Hawk on the ground called and then accepted copulation with a second SWHA.  Has anyone else seen them copulate on the ground?

Mary Schiedt
YBWA...Yolo County...Davis

On Apr 24, 2021, at 11:18 AM, Doug Herr <telyt@...> wrote:

I've also noticed a pair in my yard (Orangevale, Sacramento County), visiting the water feature.  They're not the first observed in my yard, but the first time they've been other than here-and-gone.

Doug Herr
Orangevale, Sacramento County
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/

> Yes, I know not the most glamorous bird, but this is the first time in 20 years I have had a Brown-headed Cowbird in my yard.  Bird is a female and has been feeding on my front yard lawn in the morning for the past couple of days.
>
> Vicinity of Gibbons Park in Sacramento County. 38.38’25” N 121.21’16”W
>
> Mark Littlefield
> Sacramento County

Denise and David Hamilton

Hi all,  So after reading some other replies about BH Cowbirds, are you saying that they aren't that common in Central Valley areas?  I live in Napa (OK, I know this is not CV worthy) but I get them often to my yard for seed (though only a male so far this spring.)  And, I can tell you where they all are:  visited family on Tuesday, right on the shore of Clear Lake in Lake Co.  Noticed birds on a  small dock - at least 28 male BH Cowbirds (!) being very attentive to 2 females!

Denise Hamilton
Napa

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 11:12 AM Mark Littlefield via groups.io <aeriesailor=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yes, I know not the most glamorous bird, but this is the first time in 20 years I have had a Brown-headed Cowbird in my yard.  Bird is a female and has been feeding on my front yard lawn in the morning for the past couple of days.

Vicinity of Gibbons Park in Sacramento County. 38.38’25” N 121.21’16”W

Mark Littlefield
Sacramento County

Steve Hampton

With cowbirds, it's the female that holds a territory. The males rove around looking for them. This is why one method of cowbird control is simply to target the females within an area of concern (e.g. where endangered birds are nesting).

--
Steve Hampton
Port Townsend, WA

Sally M. Walters

I live in Sacramento near the state fair grounds.  Cowbirds were noticeably absent during this 2020 year of Covid when the fairgrounds were closed. I just had 2 males  at my tube feeders in the last week. They have returned.  In the past I have removed my feeders when they arrive. I will remove them again.
Sally Walters
Sacramento, CA