From: centralvalleybirds@groups.io <centralvalleybirds@groups.io> on behalf of rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 9:49 AM
To: Central Valley Birds <centralvalleybirds@groups.io>
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] Baikal Teal shot in Colusa County

Don't know how many of you picked up on this one, but the eBird rarity message had this report late last night.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Larry Jordan

Just a question. Is it legal to shoot a non-native (vagrant) species in the US?
Larry

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 3:11 PM Andy Engilis via groups.io <aengilisjr=ucdavis.edu@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks everyone for your feedback on the bird with CDWF help we are on the track of that bird now.  Andy

Don't know how many of you picked up on this one, but the eBird rarity message had this report late last night.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Clifford Hawley

My understanding is that the way state game laws are written that unless there is a bag limit on a duck or goose species it can be shot. Since Baikal Teal is not expected to even be here there is no bag limit so it is legal to take.

Cliff Hawley
Sacramento, CA