Sewer Pond Birding, Elk Grove?

Sally M. Walters

Does anyone know what these ponds are? Looks like sewage treatment. Anyone know if they are open for birding?

Sally Walters Schmoldt
Sacramento CA

Clifford Hawley

Hi Sally, 

Google Maps says that it is Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito & Vector Control. I'm guessing they are raising mosquitofish in those ponds. From the street view you can see at least some of the ponds through the fence from the sidewalk. I doubt that other access is possible. Good birding. 

Cliff Hawley
Sacramento, CA

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020, 6:12 AM Sally M. Walters <bajaowl@...> wrote:
Does anyone know what these ponds are? Looks like sewage treatment. Anyone know if they are open for birding?

Sally Walters Schmoldt
Sacramento CA

--

Clifford Hawley 
Sacramento, CA

"For, what are the voices of birds...
But words, our words, 
Only so much more sweet?"   
Robert Browning

naturestoc

I don't know if they are open for birding (I doubt it though). Cliff is correct, they do propagate and distribute mosquito fish there. I got a bunch for my small backyard pond.

Dan Brown,
Sacramento

-----Original Message-----
To: cvbirds <centralvalleybirds@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Jul 22, 2020 11:22 pm
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] Sewer Pond Birding, Elk Grove?

Sally Walters Schmoldt
Sacramento CA

Andy Engilis

These ponds are part of the Sac-Yolo Mosquito Vector Control and not open for birding.  They are counted each Rio Cosumnes Christmas Count.

The ponds and wetlands on Camden Park behind these ponds actually can be god birding in winter.

Andy

Andrew Engilis, Jr.

Curator

Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology

Dept of Wildlife, Fish, and Conservation Biology

One Shield Avenue

University of California

Davis, CA 95616

USA

Office Phone:  530-752-0364

Cell: 530-902-1881

FAX: 530-752-4154

E-mail:  aengilisjr@...

From: centralvalleybirds@groups.io <centralvalleybirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of Clifford Hawley via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 6:22 AM
To: centralvalleybirds@groups.io
Subject: Re: [centralvalleybirds] Sewer Pond Birding, Elk Grove?

Hi Sally, 

Google Maps says that it is Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito & Vector Control. I'm guessing they are raising mosquitofish in those ponds. From the street view you can see at least some of the ponds through the fence from the sidewalk. I doubt that other access is possible. Good birding. 

Cliff Hawley
Sacramento, CA

Sally Walters Schmoldt
Sacramento CA

--

Clifford Hawley 
Sacramento, CA

But words, our words, 
Robert Browning

Sally M. Walters

Camden Park is on the other side of the river from the ponds.  Someone mentioned a street view but not the street.  If that is known...
Sally M. Walters

On Jul 23, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Andy Engilis via groups.io <aengilisjr@...> wrote:

These ponds are part of the Sac-Yolo Mosquito Vector Control and not open for birding.  They are counted each Rio Cosumnes Christmas Count.

The ponds and wetlands on Camden Park behind these ponds actually can be god birding in winter.

Andy

Andrew Engilis, Jr.
Curator
Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology
Dept of Wildlife, Fish, and Conservation Biology
One Shield Avenue
University of California
Davis, CA 95616
USA

Office Phone:  530-752-0364
Cell: 530-902-1881
FAX: 530-752-4154
E-mail:  aengilisjr@...

From: centralvalleybirds@groups.io <centralvalleybirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of Clifford Hawley via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 6:22 AM
To: centralvalleybirds@groups.io
Subject: Re: [centralvalleybirds] Sewer Pond Birding, Elk Grove?

Hi Sally, 

Cliff Hawley 
Sacramento, CA 

Sally Walters Schmoldt
Sacramento CA

-- 
Clifford Hawley 
Sacramento, CA

But words, our words, 
Robert Browning