Yolo Barred Owl

Joan Humphrey

Hi Birders,

Here's an update on the Yolo Barred Owl. I know a lot of us have been on hold waiting for the bird to get back on its territory.  The owl continues well, with a healthy weight, and is eating okay in captivity.  It has not been aged, sexed or banded.

After getting thoroughly drenched, chilled, and tangled in some fine fishpond netting last Sunday night (after catching a fish!), the Barred Owl was taken to the California Raptor Center.  This otherwise healthy bird needed to stay there Monday night to finish drying out as it had been very wet, but the raptor center was hoping for a very quick turnaround.

Since this bird is a valley floor first, word of it traveled fast.  The California Raptor Center was contacted by its permitting agencies (California Dept of Fish and Wildlife, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) instructing that the Barred Owl not be released pending development of a management plan since it can be regarded as an invasive species.  They are also interested in learning such things as to what subspecies this owl belongs and how old is it and would probably like to do a DNA test to get some answers.

Please realize that the Raptor Center has been placed on hold here also.  It will be the permitting agencies that will decide IF OR WHEN this bird will be released.  Concerns or questions would best be directed to the agencies (California Department of Fish and Wildlife, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service), although I don't have any particular contact information.

Good Birding,

Joan Humphrey
Davis, CA

On Monday, January 13, 2020, 11:37:45 AM PST, Emmett Iverson via Groups.Io <emmettscotti@...> wrote:

Hi,

Gregg Schwab reported this morning that the Barred Owl was taken to the UC Davis raptor center after being entangled in a net at a south Davis fish pond. All the info that I have for now. Will try and update the listserv when more is known.

Good birding,

Emmett Iverson
Winters

On Sunday, January 12, 2020, 3:37 PM, Emmett Iverson via Groups.Io <emmettscotti@...> wrote:

Hi all,

For the last couple of days homeowners around Willowbank Ditch have photographed the Barred Owl seen back in December. It was circulated on the Yolo WhatsApp but was finally refound by Sean Smith this afternoon. It is currently being seen on the willowbank ditch bike path, best accessed by parking on Lillard and walking through Putah Creek Park. This bird will likely have changed its roost spot by tomorrow but it does continue and is being seen on public property.

Good birding,

Emmett Iverson
Winters, Ca

Emmett Iverson

[...]

Steve Hampton

sorry-- my eBird report with map is at https://ebird.org/checklist/S63336880

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 4:49 PM Steve Hampton <stevechampton@...> wrote:
I've posted a map of where the bird has been seen in my eBird report. Today's bird was just north of #2 above the bike path.

--
Steve Hampton
Davis, CA

--