From: Craig Swolgaard cswol@... [central_valley_birds]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2014 1:34 PM
To: CV Birds ; sierra-nevadabirds
Subject: [CVBirds] Ruby-crowned Kinglet Behavior

Hi Birders-

Thought Id throw this out to see if others have noticed. This fall Ive seen several instances of ruby-crowned kinglets singing and/ or flaring out their ruby crown, which I dont normally notice this time of year. Just now there were two having a scuffle in my yard with plenty of flaring and vocalizations (not calls). First, are there others noticing the same thing? Second, is this unusual for this bird as it seems to be? An obvious, not necessarily correct, conclusion is that the unseasonably warm temperatures are causing this. Id welcome any ideas.

Craig Swolgaard
Georgetown, CA

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Steve Hampton

I think this is normal for this time of year.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM, 'Denise Hamilton' napabirders@... [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply@...> wrote:
Sorry, I'm not in 'your' area, but I have noticed it too.  At Timberhill
Park here in Napa, on Oct. 23 had a male flaring his ruby crown and burst
out into full song.  Was up there again today and saw the same bird ??? -
ruby crown and full song.  I have wondered about the same thing since I
mentioned it in my Ebird report.  I do not remember them singing this time
of year.

Denise Hamilton
Napa, CA
napabirders@...

Thought I’d throw this out to see if others have noticed.  This fall I’ve
seen several instances of ruby-crowned kinglets singing and/ or flaring out
their ruby crown, which I don’t normally notice this time of year.  Just now
there were two having a scuffle in my yard with plenty of flaring and
vocalizations (not calls).  First, are there others noticing the same thing?
Second, is this unusual for this bird as it seems to be?  An obvious, not
necessarily correct, conclusion is that the unseasonably warm temperatures
are causing this.  I’d welcome any ideas.

Craig Swolgaard
Georgetown, CA

------------------------------------

------------------------------------