Re: [CVBirds] Yolo Dark morph RLHA yes, Harlan's no

John Sterling <ani@...>

Roger,

Thanks for clearing up that report. I suspect that many reported dark
Harlan's Hawks in the Central Valley are actually dark Rough-legged Hawks.
It is a tricky identification, so no one should feel badly about getting
crossed up. Because we don't see many dark Rough-leggeds in CA, most
birders are not as familiar with that form as with other raptors. Even with
this in mind, dark Rough-legged Hawks greatly outnumber dark Harlan's Hawks
in California. One should be cautious when reporting the much more rare
Harlan's Hawk. It is a great learning experience to thoroughly document a
Harlan's Hawk in California.

John

John Sterling

26 Palm Ave