Re: (Possible) Garganey continues at Yolo Wildlife Area

Matt Brady

Hi CV Birders. I was one of the co-finders of the 2003 Baker STP
"Garganey". That bird was NOT accepted by the CBRC, and I have since
reidentified it as a probable Common Teal, the Eurasian counterpart to
our Green-winged Teals. Please use discretion when comparing the
current Yolo bird to that one.

Matt Brady
Mendocino County

--- In central_valley_birds@..., "Chris Conard"
<conardc@...> wrote:

Folks,

This morning (10/27/07) a little before 1030, Kimya Lambert and I
found a
large group of birders. They were scoping the putative female-type
Garganey
from what I believe is Lot C (the lot on your right as you are heading S
along the loop portion of the auto tour).

I have never seen a Garganey [before], so for what it is worth, I
like the
pattern on the face. The bill appeared a little smaller than I
would like.
The bill was all dark. At times green showed in the speculum (wing
folded)--I didn't get good views of the bird flapping as seen by
others. I
like the white edging to the tertials.

The bird was farther away than I would have liked, but a few of my
digiscopes might be useful:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/conardc/

As additional food for thought, a possible Garganey was photographed
at the
Baker Sewage Ponds in 2003. Photo here:
http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/garg.htm<http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/%7Ejmorlan/garg.htm>

Thoughts welcome.

While we were there, nobody saw a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. One Pectoral
Sandpiper was found by another birder on the return leg of the loop ~150
yards S of Lot B.

Chris Conard