[CenValBirds] Bullock's Oriole- Nesting

CVWALKER@...

Bullock's Oriole

We have a pair of Bullock's Orioles building their nest in a Blue Oak behind our house (the same tree with fledging Red-Tailed Hawks in a nest). At least 5 times today the male and female have flown into our yard. The male sits on the fence or on another conspicuous perch and occasionally chatters while the female quietly eats some grape jelly and then takes some cotton from a net bag we have hung in a tree. The female then flies back to the oak with the male close behind. The male has not been observed eating or collecting nesting material. Is the male acting as decoy for predators, or is he watching for other male orioles, or is he just watching?

C. Walker

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/central_valley_birds