Black Terns, Redheads, etc in Merced County

Matt Brady

Hello Birders. Yesterday (5/14) David Vander Pluym,
Jeremy "Jez" Bird and I were birding in the marsh
complexes off of Santa Fe Grade Road south east of Los
Banos, Merced County, where we found a pair of BLACK
TERNS, as well as two pairs of REDHEADs, a single
female RING-NECKED DUCK and at least three male
NORTHERN SHOVELLERS. We also birded the Merced Nat'l
Wildlife Refuge, but it was mostly dry, so we saw
virtually no Shorebirds (aside from Stilts and
Avocets) and only a smattering of Ducks (Mallards,
Cinnammon Teal and Gadwalls). San Luis Nat'l Wildlife
Refuge had a fairly good cross-section of riparian
breeders, but nothing unexpected. Good birding,

Matt Brady
Santa Cruz

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/