Nocturnal Flight Call research. Need NFC stations in West/ South Davis and West Sacramento

Cameron Tescher

Hi everyone,

Rob Furrow and I are establishing a nocturnal flight call project in which we are measuring the timing and relative magnitude of nocturnal migration for five species of passerines: Yellow Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Lazuli Bunting, Swainson's Thrush, and Lincoln's Sparrow. We are comparing sites along the Coast Range with sites in the Central Valley. We also hope to note specific weather conditions affecting nocturnal migration, as well as to learn more about the movements of hard-to-detect species such as Grasshopper Sparrows, and to contribute more generally to the understanding of where and when California birds are migrating. We also hope to develop a thorough set of resources to support others in processing and identifying the nocturnal flight calls of western birds.

We are looking for areas in the Central Valley to set up recorders. We are ideally looking for sites in East Davis, South Davis, or West Sacramento, as we already have sites west of Davis and in the western part of central Davis. We prefer somewhere with a large enough backyard to be at least 10 feet from any wall and not covered by any tree canopy (which can affect the calls being picked up by the recorders). The recorder setups are small (a small bucket on a post or bungeed to a chimney), and we could share your flight call data with you (for example, by creating eBird lists and giving you copies of all recordings from your home). If anyone is willing to use part of their yard for research, that would be great!  Please contact me if you live in one of these areas (East Davis, South Davis, or West Sacramento) and are interested in participating. We have a very limited number of recording stations so apologies in advance if you are interested but we are not able to set something up at your place.

Good birding!

Cameron Tescher
Davis, CA