Re: hybrid Greater White-fronted x Cackling Goose (?) CR 103 Pond

Steve Hampton

Yes, this bird is part of a family of 5 that all have some variations of this look (one looks like a giant Laysan Duck!). They've been around for a few winters. I'm not sure what hybrid they are, but GWFG x Cackling or Canada seems right.

I saw the family yesterday at the Farmer's Central Pond on Rd 102 in Yolo County. They were also four Greater Scaup there.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 10:01 PM Denise and David Hamilton <napabirders@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Today, March 1, David and I discovered a hybrid goose today in the field adjacent to the County Road 103 pond (close to intersection with 28H)  It was mixed in with a flock of Greater White-fronted Geese (with a few Cackling and Canada Geese.)  I have listed it as a GWF x Cackling Goose hybrid, though I am not sure!  Looked through a lot of pictures of hybrids with Canada OR Cackling Geese, and the Cackling Goose seems closest.

Would appreciate any comments or thoughts!  Pictures can be found in my Ebird report.  Thank you!

Good birding,

Steve Hampton
Davis, CA