Yolo Cassin’s Finches

Konshau Duman

Dear Birders,

Today Lynette and I saw a flock of Cassin’s Finches on Rayhouse Road at 10:24. They were in the bottom of a canyon that the road goes into at (38.898955, -122.314494). At the time we could count 16 of them conservatively but there were more calling out of sight. After 25 minutes all the finches had left the canyon and flew along the mountain to the northeast. Bart Wickel visited later at 12:49 and re-found them in that canyon. He also saw them going down to Fiske Creek and drinking water, counting 25 in a tree at (38.901070, -122.311487). Unfortunately when we were on our way out around 16:00 they were gone. Based on our observations and Bart’s we can say that they came into the bottom of the canyon and left twice today so there may be hope of seeing them there again tomorrow.

Good Luck!

Best,

Konshau Duman & Lynette Williams
Galt, CA