Re: [northbaybirds] Salmonella-Pine Siskin deaths

Fred Werner

Though not in the Central Valley, WildCare in San Rafael (Marin Co.) has a page on info, resources and advice on the current salmonella outbreak:

From: Thomas <thomasp48ca@...>
Date: January 15, 2021 at 6:38:28 AM PST
To: GGAS-Chat@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GGAS-Chat] Pine Siskins, other finches, salmonella outbreaks

Wildcare in San Rafael provides information about the salmonella outbreak and how to prev
https://www.discoverwildcare.org/advocacy/protect-songbirds-from-salmonella-poisoning/

- Fred

On Jan 15, 2021, at 11:09 AM, Sally M. Walters <bajaowl@...> wrote:

 California Department of Fish and Wildlife does not have a more current weblink post. However, Oregon and Washington Departments of Fish and Wildlife have recent posts. There are non government websites posting current information.  I have requested the California DFW to up date their post to 20/21.  We shall see if they do.
The message is the same: remove feeders and baths that concentrate birds and spread disease.  Clean them and wait some period of time - mid February - before putting them up. This promotes social distancing in birds as they feed naturally.

The word is out!

Sally M Walters

On Jan 15, 2021, at 8:42 AM, <rscimino@...> <rscimino@...> wrote:

Hi Good Morning to All,

Yesterday Bird Watching magazine hosted a zoom presentation hosted by Laura
Erickson.
Laura address's the past and current finch (siskins) family of diseases.
It is an enjoyable presentation, slow at times but she gets to the point.
I think the zoom is available - Here is the link:

https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/birdwatching-membership-free-trial

Rich Cimino
Marin County
www.yellowbilledtours.com