Re: [northbaybirds] Salmonella-Pine Siskin deaths

Sally M. Walters

Oh darn! Good catch. I will check. However same story. It’s happening now.

Sally Walters Schmoldt
Sacramento CA

On Jan 15, 2021, at 12:11 AM, Diane Hichwa <dhichwa@earthlink.net> wrote:

This particular article seems to be from 2016. Is there more recent info
in CA?
Portland reported deaths in late 2020.
Diane Hichwa

Email: dhichwa@earthlink.net

Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)
707-483-3130 (cell)
More Tail Wagging!!! Less Barking!!
Millie 2007

On 1/14/21, 7:01 PM, "Sally M. Walters" <northbaybirds@groups.io on behalf
of bajaowl@gmail.com> wrote:

In summary, due to salmonella reported in Pine Siskins and other finches,
the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) and National
Audubon recommend removing your feeders and bird baths for some time
period. I would add scatter your seed about the yard in leaf piles and
other natural feeding locations - social distancing in birds. FACT CHECK
what you hear with scientific sources like eBird, or California
Department of Fish and Games information under salmonella and Pine
Siskin. Both Oregon and Washington have similar posts regarding dying
Pine Siskins. I heard it was on the North Coast, now to the San
Francisco Bay Area. Today I read that Redding and now Sacramento have
reported deaths. Please check this website for more details.

https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2016/02/18/recent-avian-disease-outbreak-pr
ompts-cdfw-to-ask-publics-help-in-preventing-and-reporting-bird-deaths/

Sally M Walters
RETIRED Wildlife Biologist
bajaowl@gmail.com

Sally M Walters