Possible Red Crossbills, Citrus Heights - 1/8/21

L Markoff

Hello All.  I live near Fair Oaks Blvd. and Oak Ave. in Citrus Heights.  Yesterday morning I was in my yard and heard “pip pip pip pip pip pip” which is what I remember Crossbills sounding like when I heard them previously in places like Oregon, Idaho, and Colorado.  I couldn’t see them, so ran inside to get my camera so that I could record them.  By the time I got back outside, they were at a distance and hard to hear above the background noise, so I gave up trying to record.

I checked xeno-canto and what I heard matched fairly well with the type 2 recordings.  Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Red Crossbills might be in this area.

Lori Markoff
Citrus Heights