Re: Yolo County migration

Steve Hampton

I'll add that, just after I sent this email, Leo Edson arrived at the Woodland WTP along with 4 Black Terns with molting white faces. It was a noddy-like plumage I've never seen before. I've posted some digi-scoped pics here:

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 8:44 AM Steve Hampton via groups.io <stevechampton=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Fall migration is underway in Yolo County.

Shorebird migration started, as usual, the last week of June. There is now decent habitat at both the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area and the Woodland Davis Clean Water Facility/Wastewater treatment plant. The large ponds on both sides of the road now have spits with mud flats. At both places, hundreds of Western and Least sandpipers and dozens of Semipalmated Plovers and Long-billed Dowitchers are the most common. Highlights in the past two weeks have been two adult Semipalmated Sandpipers and a Snowy Plover. To Peregrine falcons were at Yolo Bypass yesterday. There are also Bank Swallows mixed in at the Bypass.

In North Davis, a trickle of Rufous/Allen’s Hummingbirds (probably the former at this point), Pac-slope Flycatchers, Western Tanagers, Black-headed Grosbeaks, Bullock’s Orioles, and Orange-cr Warblers have been the norm for the past few weeks. Yesterday I had a pair of juvenile Hermit Warblers, which is not unusual for this time of year.

Good birding,

--
Steve Hampton
Davis, CA