Re: Hummingbirds

Denise and David Hamilton

From: kuschmanfred via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2020 9:26 AM
To: centralvalleybirds@groups.io
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] Hummingbirds

I had a female selasphorus hummingbird in my garden for most of last week and again on Monday. Most likely this was a female Allen’s since I see Allen’s Hummingbirds most years, but not always, during the last 10 days of June. More typically I see green-backed males, but twice also females (or possibly hatchyear males). Most of the time they stay for only a day or two.
In other hummingbird news, the UCD Vet School hummingbird research team tagging hummingbirds in my garden recaptured on Tuesday a female Black-chinned Hummingbird they had originally banded in 2011. They also recaptured it in 2017 and 2018. Nine years is quite an age for a little hummingbird, and a migratory hummingbird to boot that has made the trip from my garden to its wintering grounds in Mexico and back 9 times, earning her a high number of frequent flyer miles.

Manfred Kusch
South bank of Putah Creek
3 miles W of Davis