Subject: eBird Report - Waterford Cove Apartments heron rookery, May 9, 2019
Date: May 9, 2019 at 11:07:13 AM PDT

Waterford Cove Apartments heron rookery, Sacramento, California, US
May 9, 2019 5:51 AM - 9:10 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 kilometer(s)
Comments:     Clear skies, breezy, 54 degrees, warming to 59 degrees and calmer.  No luck seeing yesterday's reported Yellow-crowned Night-Heron despite prolonged effort. The Black-crowned Night-Herons were very active for the first 20 minutes I was there and slowed down markedly by 9AM, with a few individuals still flying in with nesting material after then.  Conversely, the Snowy Egrets became more active. The night-herons were mostly buried in the redwoods and not visible by the time I left.
29 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  17
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  6     All were males, presumably with the females away on nests.
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon))  11
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  1
White-throated Swift (Aeronautes saxatalis)  2
Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna)  1
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)  3
Great Egret (Ardea alba)  6     These came in early, landed on the redwoods, and later disappeared. They did not seem to be participating in the nest colony.
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula)  45     A minimum number. Most if not all had breeding plumes and pink lores.
Green Heron (Butorides virescens)  3     All three were flying over the adjacent canal.
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)  120     One-hundred twenty is the estimate. Probably more than this, as they outnumbered the Snowy Egrets about 3 to 1 early on. Most were adults, some on nests, many more  carrying nesting material. Several were subadults showing no sign of nesting participation. Two were just-fledged juveniles warily inching out on a limb toward their parent.
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  3
Nuttall's Woodpecker (Dryobates nuttallii)  2
Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans)  2
California Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica)  2
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  7     Harassing herons and vultures and looking for food.
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Stelgidopteryx serripennis)  2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)  6
Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota)  13
Bushtit (Psaltriparus minimus)  3
Western Bluebird (Sialia mexicana)  2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  4
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  2
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  5
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)  3
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater)  1
Brewer's Blackbird (Euphagus cyanocephalus)  1
Western Tanager (Piranga ludoviciana)  1
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56047196