NO luck refinding the Yellow-crowned Night-heron

Gil Ewing

Hi all

I failed in trying to find the Yellow-crowned Night-heron photographed and reported by Carol Livingston last evening in Sacramento’s Pocket Area at the Waterford Cover Apartments heron rookery at Windbridge Dr. and Cutting Way.
Spent over three hours there. Two other birders came and went, and another arrived as I was leaving, but by then the night-herons were mostly tucked away in the redwoods and mostly hidden from view.
Perhaps evening might be a better time to search.

My eBird checklist, attached below, has some further details.

Gil Ewing
Fair Oaks, Sacramento Co., CA

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: eBird Report - Waterford Cove Apartments heron rookery, May 9, 2019
Date: May 9, 2019 at 11:07:13 AM PDT

Waterford Cove Apartments heron rookery, Sacramento, California, US
May 9, 2019 5:51 AM - 9:10 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 kilometer(s)
Comments:     Clear skies, breezy, 54 degrees, warming to 59 degrees and calmer.  No luck seeing yesterday's reported Yellow-crowned Night-Heron despite prolonged effort. The Black-crowned Night-Herons were very active for the first 20 minutes I was there and slowed down markedly by 9AM, with a few individuals still flying in with nesting material after then.  Conversely, the Snowy Egrets became more active. The night-herons were mostly buried in the redwoods and not visible by the time I left.
29 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  17
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  6     All were males, presumably with the females away on nests.
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon))  11
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  1
White-throated Swift (Aeronautes saxatalis)  2
Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna)  1
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)  3
Great Egret (Ardea alba)  6     These came in early, landed on the redwoods, and later disappeared. They did not seem to be participating in the nest colony.
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula)  45     A minimum number. Most if not all had breeding plumes and pink lores.
Green Heron (Butorides virescens)  3     All three were flying over the adjacent canal.
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)  120     One-hundred twenty is the estimate. Probably more than this, as they outnumbered the Snowy Egrets about 3 to 1 early on. Most were adults, some on nests, many more  carrying nesting material. Several were subadults showing no sign of nesting participation. Two were just-fledged juveniles warily inching out on a limb toward their parent.
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  3
Nuttall's Woodpecker (Dryobates nuttallii)  2
Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans)  2
California Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica)  2
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  7     Harassing herons and vultures and looking for food.
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Stelgidopteryx serripennis)  2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)  6
Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota)  13
Bushtit (Psaltriparus minimus)  3
Western Bluebird (Sialia mexicana)  2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  4
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  2
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  5
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)  3
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater)  1
Brewer's Blackbird (Euphagus cyanocephalus)  1
Western Tanager (Piranga ludoviciana)  1
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56047196

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Join centralvalleybirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.