Re: [CVBirds] Yellow-capped Acorn Woodpecker in Bidwell Park?

I just looked up Acorn Woodpecker on Birds of North America online and found this:

Aberrant Plumages

Nonmelanic leucism, or partial albinism, occurs at a frequency of about 0.1% (WDK). More rarely, individuals in California have been recorded with golden yellow, rather than red, crowns (WDK).

Koenig, W. D., P. B. Stacey, M. T. Stanback, and R. L. Mumme (1995). Acorn Woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus), version 2.0. In The Birds of North America (A. F. Poole and F. B. Gill, Editors). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.2173/bna.194

It is really quite pretty with the yellow cap!

Denise Hamilton
Napa