From: John and Glennah Trochet <trochetj@...>
Date: Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 11:49 AM
Subject: Tall Forest survey this Saturday
To: CV Birds <central_valley_birds@...>

Dear Birders,

This month's iteration of the Tall Forest bird survey will take place this Saturday, 18 August 2018.  We will go through the locked Farm Center gate, corner of Bruceville and Desmond Roads promptly at 05:45.  The trails will be dry, though there may be substantial dew at our first stop or two, so you have your choice of footwear.  Mosquitoes are around but not so numerous as on many other occasions.  It is still a good idea to have insect repellent at hand.  Yellowjackets are a minor nuisance at the moment; they routinely get peskier later in the summer.

In recent months I asked folks to sign up on the preserve's website.  Advance registration seems no longer required, as I checked just now and the "button" to do so is no longer present.

Woodland birding in the last week has been quite underwhelming.  Shorebirding has been decent (on Sunday I found marbled godwit, willet and Wilson's phalarope, and yesterday Baird's sandpiper and Wilson's phalarope), but the habitat is rapidly disappearing.  What remains is about equally divided between three fields on the south side of Desmond Road just west of the Farm Center gate and inaccessible fields behind the gate, which we'll visit on Saturday.

Best,
John Trochet

John Trochet
Sacramento, California