Re: [CVBirds] Re: Begging cowbird and hooded oriole

Dawn Garcia

Hi Alvaro,
maybe but unlikely in my brief observation. I have photos(with my phone so
not great) but was first cued in by the begging call of the young cowbird.
Only killdeer in the area and within inches of the cowbird, on this harsh
landscape and in the near area, foraging around the moist mineral flats. I
thought it was odd too, watched for about 5 minutes and made notes to self.
Might have missed something...
Dawn
Dawn Garcia
Oroville, CA

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 6:06 PM, Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao@coastside.net>
wrote:

Hi Dawn

Hooded Orioles take nectar, but they rear their chicks on insect
prey. In fact they take a lot more insects than they do nectar, but
nectaring is much more obvious to us as birders than their insectivore
diet. The Killdeer observation is odd, Killdeer young are precocial and
adults do not feed the young. So perhaps something else was going on here?

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

alvaro@alvarosadventures.com

www.alvarosadventures.com