From: central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com <central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com> On Behalf Of Dawn Garcia avifan59@gmail.com [central_valley_birds]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 4:55 PM
To: central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CVBirds] Re: Begging cowbird and hooded oriole

I think Barbara's post is pretty amazing. I wouldn't have thought of an often-nectar feeder like an oriole as being a cowbird host. My cowbird rearing sightings follow. Most recently in Yellowstone I saw two killdeer, presumably a pair feeding a begging cowbird (BHCO), they were on a thermal feature. In the Devils Canyon (SD) I had a male western tanager feeding a begging BHCO. In years past I have seen a chipping sparrow (Lake Davis) and Wilson's warbler (Bainbridge Island, WA) as cowbird "parents". It is always surprising and rarely forgettable!

--

Dawn

Dawn Garcia

Oroville, CA