Swainson's Hawk kettle over Beale Airforce Base

Dawn Garcia

Today, June 30, while running the Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship banding station at Beale Airforce Base, Michelle Ocken and I witnessed about 100 Swainson's hawks kettling over the site. We had been watching a pair and fledged young (they fledged 1-2 weeks ago) around the area, very active  this morning. At 810 we were on different loops of a net run and I heard Swainson's calling above.  I looked up and saw many, and then many more soar and call, circling into a kettle and could see Michelle across the field documenting it with her phone,about 100 individuals. The kettle dissipated in about 5 minutes and the Beale family remained in the area during the rest of the morning (we left at 1100). At least one of the adults is obviously in molt with missing feathers (and many scattered throughout the area on the ground). It was quite a spectacular site! and we were curious about the timing of this apparent southbound migration.

Dawn Garcia

Oroville, CA