Creed, Robinson, Flannery Rds. Solano Co. 1/11

Denise and David Hamilton

Hi All,

We went in search of Mt. Plovers recently posted on Ebird reports, but after a lot of looking, we did not see any. But it was still a great morning out there yesterday.  MANY AMERICAN PIPITS, HORNED LARKS, SAVANNAH SPARROWS,  & AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES- we saw 3 flocks of them eating thistle seeds- together over 500 of them!

Raptors included:  20 A. KESTRELS, 2 WHITE-TAILED KITES, 2 N. HARRIERS, 13 RED-TAILS, 1 RED-SHOULDERED, 4 FERRUGINOUS HAWKS, 1 MERLIN, 1 PRAIRIE FALCON.  We counted 18 LOGGERHEAD SHRIKES (mostly along Creed Rd)

A wet area on Creed Rd. had a good assortment of ducks along with 3 TUNDRA SWANS.

We scared up 1 BURROWING OWL (down in the ditch?) when we stopped to scan the field at the sharp corner of Robinson Rd.  It sat on the ground ‘chirping’ at us before flying off.

Complete list:

Happy birding,
Denise & David Hamilton
Napa