Re: [CVBirds] Inquiry about Steller's Jay irruption

Ok, I realize I am not in the Central Valley, but I'd like to respond to the Steller's Jays irruption.  On Oct. 11, I saw 4-5 jays in my neighborhood in Napa- not too unusual, but usually see only 1 or 2 at the most.  A few days later I saw 12+ flying over low headed in a southerly direction.  The morning of Oct. 16 when I first noticed them in flight I started counting and there were 35 of them!  As I reported on NBB, I have never seen that many at one time. I will continue to watch for them.

Birds of North America online mentioned: "Large irruptive movements are sporadic after breeding season, perhaps in response to food shortages (Svärdson 1957, Hubbard 1978, Garrett and Dunn 1981, Monson and Phillips 1981, Vander Wall and Balda 1981, Rosenberg et al. 1991). Irruptions can occur over large geographic areas, and in years when other corvid species also irrupt. During irruptions, flocks apparently are composed mainly of immatures, which may have originated from areas much farther north..."

I posted my sighting to eBird.

Denise Hamilton
Napa
napabirders@...

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 6:36 PM, "David Barry ramsman@... [central_valley_birds]" wrote:

Hello all,

I have a friend who lives in Chico CA and photographed a Steller's Jay in her backyard. About 1 week ago. This is only the 2ND Steller's Jay ever seen in her yard.

Also regarding Acorn Woodpeckers:  2 weeks ago North of Covelo CA Mendocino County there were hundreds of Acorn Woodpeckers, literally everywhere!

Also hundreds of Band-tailed Pigeons.  Perhaps it is an ACORN irruption ?  Though I haven't noticed a particularly large amount of them in the hills West of Healdsburg this year.

Dave Barry
Santa Rosa

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 6:27 PM, "Doug Herr wildlightphoto@... [central_valley_birds]" wrote:

Manfred Kusch wrote:

Have there been observations or reports about a Steller's Jay irruption this fall?
<<<

Two yesterday Oct 18 in the sequoia trees on my property here in Orangevale. This is the second time in 14 years I've seen this species here.

Doug Herr
Orangevale, Sacramento County
http://www.wildlightphoto.com