NO Marsh Sandpiper Monday, but other highlights

We realize that the Marsh Sandpiper was not seen since Saturday AM, but needed to go to Fairfield, so checked out Liberty Island this morning.  No Marsh Sandpiper, but fields full of over 200 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, many in breeding plumage.  SORA called, flocks of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE flew overhead, and correct us if we’re wrong, but had a WHIMBREL.  Not reddish like a LB Curlew, stouter, heavier bill, not a whole lot larger than the BB Plovers.  A young, tiny KILLDEER was walking about + GREATER & LESSER YELLOWLEGS, and other species.  Really was quite nice!

Next headed over to Pedrick Road along Putah Creek, near Davis.  Only new migrants:  vocal, chasing SWAINSON’S HAWKS, BULLOCK’S ORIOLE, WESTERN KINGBIRD, WILSON’S WARBLER,  HOUSE WRENS & SWALLOWS.  Still MANY YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, a RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, HERMIT THRUSH, CEDAR WAXWINGS & crowned sparrows.

Then over to Yolo Bypass.  NOT a lot of water, but did see at least 2 pairs of BLUE-WINGED TEAL.  Saw an interesting FALCON, which we believe was a young PEREGRINE FALCON sitting on the ground (will try to post pictures onto the CV Birds website), and the marsh by Parking Lot B was full of YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS.  DUNLIN in breeding colors! A SORA was out walking around, and a MUSKRAT was  coming out of the water, chewing/ripping off greens and taking them back into the water.

We’re sorry we missed the Marsh Sandpiper (it is helpful that we’ve seen them in Australia) but really saw some lovely birds!

Denise & David Hamilton