Re: [CVBirds] Tundra Swan neck collar

Bruce Webb <BruWebb@...>

Gary, and others:

In this case, you will probably get better, quicker info emailing Craig Ely the bander in Anchorage.  He provided the website below which gives the region in Alaska where these swans were banded.  Look on the CVBirds file section formthe Swan Alert file from 2010.

  Craig emailed me last year they were no longer putting collars on swans.

Bruce Webb
Granite Bay, CA
    Have scope, Will travel

On Jan 14, 2014, at 3:24 PM, Gil Ewing <gewing1@...> wrote:

Hi

Sorry if this thread is slightly off-topic.

To report banded, collared, or color marked birds, you can give the information to the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center Bird Banding Laboratory.
It's fun to get back some information about the specific bird you saw and reported, when it happens.

Here is a link, to get started:

Gil Ewing
Fair Oaks, Sacramento Co., CA

On Jan 14, 2014, at 1:26 PM, G Nielsen wrote:

       I'm not sure who, if anyone, is collecting Tundra Swan band data but here is one I read this morning on Cottonwood Rd., 1 mile east of Hwy 99 in Butte County. It was actively feeding in the rice fields on the north side of Cottonwood Rd. The neck band was blue in color with white lettering, possibly light yellow lettering, but I think the yellow was mud staining. The band read  "P716." There was a metal band on the right leg that I was unable to read. I hope someone can get this info to the people who need it.
Gary Nielsen
Oroville, CA